A Complete Guide to House Decluttering
You do not have to be a minimalist to declutter your house regularly – you can benefit from this healthy and helpful habit regardless of your lifestyle. First of all, house decluttering allows you to eliminate all the items that no longer serve you well, free up some space, and do it effectively – by donating or selling your stuff.
Secondly, house decluttering helps you become more focused, minimize the risk of asthma and allergies, and improve your overall well-being and those of your family members. But to make the most out of this process, you must approach it thoughtfully.
Below, you will find a complete guide to decluttering your house by room – starting from the garage space and ending with the bathroom. Read on and free up some space!
Most people use their garage to store random things they don’t know what to do with. However, when your garage becomes cluttered and disorganized, it becomes challenging to find anything in there. Let’s take a look at how you can declutter your garage:
- Sort things into categories. One way to make this process easier for yourself is to sort all of the objects in your garage into categories based on their purpose (e.g., gear, tools, papers) so that they are easier to manage.
- Donate or throw away unused items. Once you have sorted everything into categories, you can decide whether or not each item still has a purpose. If it doesn’t, you can either donate or sell these items or throw them away if they are no longer helpful. Do not forget to remove items from their original boxes or bags before putting them into any donation box.
- Buy storage containers. If there are items that you still want to keep but do not have a place for them, try buying some storage containers and labelling them appropriately (e.g., tools, sports equipment). This way, you will be able to find whatever you need next time you need something quickly.
- Organize your tools. While most people have devices in their garages, they often do not organize them properly. Your tools should be arranged, so they are easy to find and use. For example, you could place all of your gardening tools in one box so that they are easy to find when needed.
- Call in a professional if you notice any droppings or sheddings. If your decluttering efforts have led you to discover something nasty living behind your cabinets or below your sink, you’ll want to call a Pest Control company as soon as possible. It’s usually best to leave tasks like these to people who know what they’re doing – many DIY pest elimination techniques only work in the short term.
In addition, garage decluttering is an excellent occasion to inspect it to determine if any repairs are needed, such as sealing the flooring or garage door opener replacement. If the latter is the case, you may consider choosing a new one from more durable options like PowerLift garage door openers.
It is very common for people to accumulate clutter in their living rooms as it is one of the most trafficked areas in the house. However, you should declutter your living room regularly to make it easier for you to move around. In addition, having a clean living room will help make you feel more relaxed and comfortable at home.
Here are some decluttering tips for your living room:
- Clean around the couch. Ensure that there are no crumbs on the floor or pieces of paper lying around, and pick up any toys or clothes that may have been left there.
- Clean the room. Try cleaning the room so that it feels fresh and organized. Getting rid of dust mites isn’t easy. You could use a vacuum cleaner to eliminate any dust lying around or wipe the furniture with a soft cloth. The house decluttering of your living room can be as simple as that.
- Organize your media. If your media (such as books, magazines, DVDs, etc.) and cables are out of order, you should take some time to reorganize them properly. Neatly arranged will allow you to search through them easily later on.
A messy bedroom can cause you more stress and anxiety than you think. If your bedroom is cluttered and untidy, it can make it difficult for you to fall asleep at night. This is why you need to declutter your bedroom regularly to have proper rest and a good night’s sleep.
Here are some tips on how you can do that:
- Clean up the clutter. First, remove all clutter from your bedroom – including dirty clothes and unmade bedsheets. Make sure that your bed is made and clean.
- Organize your clothes. It is also a good idea to organize your clothes so they are easy to find and put away. You could place your socks, underwear, t-shirts, etc., in separate boxes or bags. This way, you will always know where to find what you need.
- Buy storage containers. Small storage containers (or baskets) can also help you organize your clothing better. For example, if you want to organize your socks neatly, you could buy a small box and put all of your socks in it. This way, they will be easy to store and never lose a second sock again.
If your kitchen is no longer clean and organized, it can be complicated to cook properly or find an inspiration to cook at all. Therefore, you must declutter your kitchen periodically to stay nice and neat.
Here are some decluttering tips for your kitchen:
- Clean up the dishes. Look at your sink – do there appear to be too many dishes? If so, give yourself enough time to wash them all. Once the dishes are clean, put them away in their respective places to stay organized and out of sight.
- Clean up the counter. If several items are cluttering up the countertop (e.g., plates, bowls, appliances), give yourself some time to tidy it up.
- Organize your kitchen cabinets. If there are items (such as extra plates and cups) that you don’t use often but don’t know what to do with, try organizing all of them in your kitchen cabinets.
- Buy storage containers. You can also buy some storage containers and place them inside each cabinet to have more room for items you use often. This way, the cabinets will be less cluttered and easier to use.
The bathroom is one of the most challenging rooms to keep clean and organized because most people use it frequently and tend to stay quite a few items. However, if this room becomes too cluttered and disorganized, it can become uncomfortable for you to spend time there.
Here are some house decluttering tips for your bathroom:
- Clean up the sink. It is a good idea to clean up the sink every once in a while because most people use it frequently. This means that there may be a lot of toothpaste or soap residue underneath the sink.
- Keep the floor clean. The floor of your bathroom is likely covered with hair, dust, and dirt – which can quickly become unhygienic. Try giving the floor a quick sweep every once in a while (perhaps once a few days) so that it stays clean and doesn’t become too dirty over time.
- Put away your Items. Most people keep quite a few items in their bathroom – such as makeup products, toilet paper, towels, razors, etc. However, if those items become scattered over the bathroom floor or cabinets, they will be tough to find when needed. Try sorting all of these items into categories (e.g., makeup in one box or shelf, towels – in another) so that each category has its own storage space.
Decluttering your house regularly can be very helpful if you want to keep your home organized and clean. It can also help you manage the stuff that accumulates around your house more quickly.
All you have to do is follow the decluttering tips in this article to declutter your house room by room effectively. As a result, your house will become a more comfortable and cosier place to live and relax.